The National Zoo’s newest giant panda is having a first birthday party this weekend, complete with “panda-friendly frozen cakes.”
Birthday boy Bei Bei, along with the zoo’s other pandas, are scheduled to chow down on the treats Saturday afternoon.
If you visit the bears, you might have to dodge a thunderstorm or shower Saturday, according to the National Weather Service. But otherwise, the day should be mostly sunny, with the temperature rising to the lower 90s. On Sunday, showers and thunderstorms are expected in the area, where the temperature likely will get up to the upper 80s.
Here’s what else you need to know to make the most of your weekend:
- Gay bar The Dirty Goose is now open on the U Street corridor.
- Locals are having neighborhood cleanups in Columbia Heights and Park View Saturday.
- School Without Walls at Francis-Stevens is looking for volunteers to help with its annual Beautification Day Saturday.
- Bier Baron Tavern is having a “drag king workshop” Saturday.
- Ben’s Chili Bowl is celebrating its 58th birthday with a talent show and some giveaways Saturday.
- Francis Pool in West End is staying open late Saturday for a free party with a DJ.
- The first-ever “Tomatopalooza” is kicking off at Common Good City Farm in LeDroit Park Sunday.
Photo via Instagram/Smithsonian’s National Zoo