(Updated at 8:58 a.m. Monday) The first presidential debate is nearly upon us.
Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump will meet face-to-face at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., for the first of three planned televised debates. The first event, moderated by “NBC Nightly News” anchor Lester Holt, will last from 9-10:30 p.m.
Though you can watch the debate for free on Facebook or tune in at home, wouldn’t you rather watch in public with a drink in your hand?
Here are some of the parties and events happening around town next week:
- Mellow Mushroom (2436 18th St. NW) will host a “not so mellow” debate watch party with drink specials and TVs with sound.
- Ventnor Sports Cafe (2411 18th St. NW) is scheduled to host an event for the Young Education Professionals.
- Hillary supporters will gather at Sign of the Whale (1825 M St. NW) for a free debate event.
- Another pro-Hillary event will take place in Dupont Circle. Tickets are $25.
- Want to watch the debates among a sea of lawyers? Big Hunt (1345 Connecticut Ave. NW) will have them. Lots of them.
- Boqueria will host a debate viewing party with unlimited tapas and drinks for $45 a person.
- Teddy and the Bully Bar will have barbecue sliders, steak bites and candidate-themed cocktails for its debate event.
- Lincoln (1110 Vermont Ave. NW) will hold its first of three debate watch parties. The parties will include “Clinton BBQ Sliders and Trump Steak Bites” for $5 and two candidate-themed cocktails for $11 each.
- Blackfinn Ameripub (1620 I St. NW) will have political-themed games and prizes prior to screening the debate.
- A “lively” pre-debate discussion from Party Politics U.S. and the Millennial Action Project will precede the debates at Barcode (1101 17th St. NW).
- The Atlantic brings live political discussion to Hamilton (600 14th St. NW). Those interested must register in order to attend the event.
- Vendetta (1212 H St. NE) will follow the debate with 2016 election trivia.
- Clinton supporters are urged not to boo at this party at Smith Commons (1245 H St. NE).
- Number Nine (1435 P St. NW) will have a buy-one-get-one-free special on some drinks during the debates.
- Hillary fans can gather for an official Ward 1 watch party at Purple Patch (3155 Mount Pleasant St. NW).
- Suns Cinema (3107 Mount Pleasant St. NW) patrons can witness the “presidential debacle” among likeminded people.
Mount Vernon Triangle
- “Debate bingo” will have people “fist-bumping” and going on “politically charged” rants at Busboys and Poets (5th and K streets NW).
- South Asians for Hillary members are scheduled to gather at Shaw’s Tavern (520 Florida Ave. NW) to cheer on their candidate.
U Street or Nearby
- Ben’s Next Door (1211 U St. NW) will host a watch party with “food, drinks, and discussion.”
- Busboys and Poets (2021 14th St. NW) will host a panel of experts to debunk all the false stuff the candidates might say during the debates.
- The D.C. Young Democrats and Network for Progress will meet at Local 16 (1602 U St. NW).
- Nellie’s will have $15 buckets of Budweiser products during its viewing event.
- Sudhouse (1340 U St. NW) will screen the debate with happy hour specials all night.
- Latino Victory Fund, Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund and Environmental Defense Fund members will gather at Stoney’s on L (2101 L St. NW) for a “young professionals” debate screening.