DC Police reported a robbery involving a gun Wednesday at 8:30 pm on the 1100 block of V Street NW:
“Police Alert – Robbery Gun_2030 hours_1100 V St NW_No Lookout DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20110667951. Sent on: 12/28 20:39”
You can sign up for Police Alerts at Alert DC, and get email or text updates.
From Police Alerts… a 19-year-old man has gone missing from Adams Morgan in the vicinity of 18th and Calvert Streets NW.
Police Alert-Missing Person Critical w/Command Post; “Missing Person Critical w/Command Post 1800 block of Calvert St., NW LOF H/M, Luis Nunez, 19 yrs old, 5’8-5’10, 260-290lbs, LSW a dark blue hoody, white t-shirt and blue jeans. DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #CCN 113-336”
You can sign up for alerts at Alert DC.
From Alert DC… Residents and visitors in the District should keep cool by staying in the shade or air conditioning and keeping hydrated. Residents are encouraged to:
- Wear loose fitting, lighter colored clothing. Take a ride on the metro or bus which are air conditioned
- If you don’t have air-conditioning, arrange to spend at least parts of the day in a shopping mall, public libraries, museums, movie theaters, or other public spaces that are cool.
- Fill a spray bottle with water and keep it in the refrigerator for a quick refreshing spray to your face after being outdoors.
- Combat dehydration by drinking plenty of water along with sports drinks or other sources of electrolytes. Avoid drinks containing alcohol, caffeine or a lot of sugar as these can increase dehydration.
- Remember that the elderly, infants and those with chronic illnesses can dehydrate more easily and are more susceptible to heat-related illnesses. Observe for signs of heat-related illness such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting.
- Observe infants for signs of heat related illness such as not producing tears when crying or fewer diaper changes.
- Don’t forget that pets also need protection from dehydration and heat-related illnesses too. Give them plenty of water.
The International Nuclear Security Summit begins this morning and runs into Wednesday at the DC Convention Center. Extremely tight security measures and many travel restrictions have been in place since last night for sections of the city, especially the area around the Convention Center. President Obama is hosting the event and attending heads of state include Germany, France, Russia, China, India, Pakistan and Brazil. (Is Carla Bruni coming to town again?)
List of Closures
You can read the full list of measures put into place by the city, Homeland Security and other federal agencies. Remember that foot traffic is affected in addition to street traffic, which includes buses; you will not be able to walk through certain areas. Check the list before setting out for work.
With dozens of heads of state in town, it is a good bet that traffic will be affected in adjacent areas of the city as VIPs travel between their respective embassies and the Convention Center.
DC Alerts and DDoT Tweets
To find out what is going on in the city in terms of traffic problems, street closures and other issues, get alerts with Alert DC, which you can receive via email and cell phone. You can sign up online.
Another good option is to get updates from the DC Department of Transportation on Twitter (@DDOTDC) or DDoT‘s Facebook Page.
Street Sweeping Suspended in Limited Area
In addition, Department of Public Works is suspending street cleaning in a large area around the Convention Center, all the way west to 15th Street NW and north to Florida Avenue NW:
DC Public Works will suspend residential mechanical street sweeping (Monday, April 12-Wednesday, April 14) within a limited area to help residents whose parking spaces will be lost due to the Nuclear Security Summit, April 12-13, at the Convention Center. The area affected is: Florida Avenue, NW (northern boundary) H Street, NW (southern boundary) 5th Street, NW (eastern boundary) 15th Street, NW (western boundary).
Three crime alerts from last night/early this morning, all from eastern Logan or western Shaw… between the Convention Center and Logan Circle. You can sign up for different types of alerts at Alert DC.
- Robbery Hold-Up Gun_0125 hours_1000 Block of N Street NW_ L/O for 1 B/M 6’1″ white tee shirt blue jeans bald head S-2 B/M 5’8″ 150 lbs. dark tee shirt blue jeans armed with a gun DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #120090331273
- Robbery Fear_2330 hours_1300 10th Street NW_LOF 3 B/M juveniles and 1 B/F juvenile DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090330987
- Robbery Knife_2357_1200 11th Street NW_LOF H/M White Shirt with knife in hand subject outside bar across from a super market DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT I20090330914
Looks like R Street NW this week is being targeted robberies. I have heard about three robberies where the assailant used a gun. But, police did arrest suspects for one of the three robberies.
- May 7: Just received this alert this evening (Thursday, May 7): “Robbery [with] Gun at 2240 hours [10:40 p.m.] at 1300 R St. NW. LOF a B/M wearing a blue shirt and a B/M with dreadlocks. DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090236266.”
- I also heard about another gun robbery just two blocks away (courtesy of Every Block DC)… there was a gun robbery on Sunday evening, May 3, at 15th and R NW. Don’t have any additional details.
- On Tuesday, May 5, around 1 a.m., there was a robbery with a gun at New Hampshire and R NW, according to information from Police Service Area (PSA) 208.
However, police did arrest a suspect for the New Hampshire and R robbery. From PSA 208:
On May 5, 2009 at 12:35 a.m., MPD was dispatched for a Robbery Hold-Up/Gun in the 1700 block of 19th Street, N.W. An interview of the complainant revealed a valid offense and a flash look-out was voiced. At 12:57 a.m., the Second District Dispatcher dispatched a radio assignment for an assignment for an additional Robbery Hold-Up/Gun at New Hampshire Avenue and R Street, N.W. An interview of the complainant revealed a valid offense and a flash look-out was voiced.At approximately 1:00 a.m., MPD stopped 4 subjects that fit the look-out. All of the individuals were positively identified and placed under arrest for Robbery Hold Up Gun.
Remember that you can sign up for alerts online at Alert DC.