Photos of the Day are pulled from the Borderstan Reader Photos pool on Flickr.
If you don’t already have a Flickr account, you will need to sign up for one, and then join the Borderstan Reader Photos group. Already a Flickr member? Join the group! You can submit up to five photos per day in the Borderstan reader pool. We are looking for photos from DC’s Dupont, Logan and U Street neighborhoods.
Hey, Bstan. Big weekend on deck, since it’s officially unofficially Halloween on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and even Sunday nights. Do you have your topical/witty/sexy costume ready to go? If you’re not into the costume thing there are plenty of “regular” weekend activities for you, but why not get in on the fun? Without further ado, here’s your Special Edition: Spooky Scary Borderstan Halloweekend Picks.
But, first things first with this reminder: Don’t drink and drive.
Safety PSA + Free Cab Rides
AT&T wants you to leave “scary” off the road this Halloween. Even though we’re located in an area of the city with GREAT public transportation option, no one should drive drunk. Ever. Together with the Washington Regional Alcohol Program (WRAP) SoberRide initiative, AT&T is providing free taxi rides (up to $30) to anyone 21 and over in the Washington, DC area this Saturday night (10/29) from 10pm until 6am. AT&T customers can call #TAXI to get a safe, free ride home, while others can dial 800-200-TAXI.
Thursday, October 27
- Get festivities started early at Policy (1904 14th Street NW) tonight for their “Spooktacular Trick or Tweet-Up” from 5 to 8 pm. It sounds a little nerdy, but they’d like to thank their Facebook and Twitter followers with complimentary appetizers drink specials, a costume contest and more.
- Then swing by Local 16 for “a local nightmare” and I mean that in the best way possible.
Friday, October 28
- BYT’s back at the Newseum, hosting “A Night at The Newseum IV in 3D, ” featuring DJ Questlove, 3D glasses and LOTS more. More details and tix here.
- The W Hotel’s (515 15th Street NW) Rooftop Howl-o-Ween Bash at POV should be a good time, but it’s at capacity. If you snagged tickets, have fun.
- Also: BeatCity: Werewolf Bar Mitzvah at Chief Ike’s Mambo Room.
Saturday, October 29
- During the day, check out a Doggy Costume Contest (I dieeeeee) in Mitchell Park, hosted by the Kalorama Kennel Club.
- If it’s your thing, Nightmare on M Street 2011, a “spooky bar crawl” of 13 different Dupont and midtown bars featuring drink specials at each is always a popular option for the more frat-tastic among us.
- I’d also recommend Lost Society’s Halloween Party (2001 14th Street NW), featuring beats from DJs Dynamix and Chris Burns as well as a one-hour open bar. Get more info and $30 tickets through GiltCity.
- Lincoln Restaurant (1110 Vermont Avenue NW) is also hosting a clubby open-bar party “Boo! Halloween” from 8 pm to 2 am, promising the allure of candy! minimal clothing! more candy! and not wearing pants! $30 advance tickets and more information here.
- And where do I really want to be on Saturday? Hopefully at the back-to-back Little Dragon show and DJ Rheka Bhangraween set at 930 Club (815 V Street NW).
Sunday, October 30
- If you’re still raring to go, The Might Pint (1831 M Street NW) is hosting a costume-d “Kill the Keg” party at 7 pm. Entrance $10, more information here.
- For something completely different, head over to American Ice Company (917 V Street NW) at 8 pm for a Halloween-themed Spirits in Black Metal Party, complete with a spooky heavy metal-themed cocktail menu designed by PS7’s mixologist Gina Chersevani and a costume contest.