Politics aside, Inauguration Weekend is a full-blown holiday weekend in the District. What makes it a holiday, one might ask? First, there is a parade. Second, bars are open super late. And third, Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken is holding another pop-up to feed the hungry masses. Ergo, parade + drinking + doughnuts = holiday.
Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken, which will soon open in Metro Center, is finding a way to offer its services before its grand opening by holding another two-day pop-up at Chinatown Coffee Co. (475 H Street NW) on January 18 and 19.
In honor of the inauguration, Pastry Chef Jason Gehring will serve “Obama Then” and “Obama Now” doughnuts, named after Obama’s switch from sweeter choices to a healthier palate.
- Obama Then: chocolate glazed doughnut with caramel drizzle and Maldon smoked sea salt
- Obama Now: oatmeal raisin doughnut with honey glaze and granola crumble
Additional doughnut varieties available for sale on both days include:
- Brooklyn Blackout – devil’s food cake, chocolate glaze, cookie crumbs
- Peanut Butter & Jelly – strawberry jelly, peanut butter glaze
- Crème Brûlée – vanilla custard, bruleed vanilla glaze
- Twink-nut – golden vanilla cake, buttercream filling, vanilla glaze
The pop-up opens at 10 am on both days, and 300 doughnuts will be available each day.
Borderstan has its long list of places to frequent for breakfast. This fall, we published a whole post on the best spots in the neighborhood to eat the most important meal of the day, and Borderstan’s Jonathan Riethmaier is constantly feeding us new ideas on where to get our morning caffeine buzz.
But, if you’re in the mood for something sweet and a little out-of-the-way on your Thursday and Friday morning commute, then check-out a little pop-up action happening in Chinatown.
Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken will host a doughnut pop-up this Thursday and Friday (December 20 and 21) at the Chinatown Coffee Co. (475 H Street NW). The pop-up will sell a variety of doughnuts, including different flavors on each of the days.
The following flavors will be sold on both days:
- Vanilla Glazed — vanilla bean glaze ($2.25)
- Brooklyn Blackout — devil’s food cake, chocolate glaze, cookie crumbs ($2.50)
- Maple Bacon — maple glaze, Benton’s bacon ($2.50)
- Peanut Butter & Jelly — strawberry jelly, peanut butter glaze ($2.85)
- Crème Brûlée — vanilla custard, bruleed vanilla glaze ($2.85)
- Eggnog cake doughnut — nutmeg butter cake, vanilla custard and rum glaze ($2.50)
- Panettone doughnut — yeast raised fruitcake, rum glaze, and toasted almonds ($2.25)
On Thursday, patrons will be able to purchase the following flavors:
- Banana Nut — banana cake, mascarpone glaze, pecans ($2.50)
- Gingerbread — gingerbread dough, gingerbread glaze ($2.25)
- Grapefruit — pink grapefruit glaze ($2.25)
- Black & White — chocolate dough, white ganache, vanilla glaze ($2.85)
- Gianduia — chocolate dough, chocolate custard, hazelnut glaze ($2.85)
On Friday, patrons will be able to purchase the following flavors:
- Twink-nut — golden vanilla cake, buttercream filling, vanilla glaze ($2.50)
- Chocolate Glazed — Valrhona chocolate glaze ($2.25)
- Pecan — butterscotch glaze, pecans ($2.25)
- Mocha — espresso dough, chocolate custard, espresso glaze ($2.85)
- Oatmeal raisin — oatmeal dough, buttercream filling, granola crumbs ($2.85)
The Astro Doughnuts & Fried Chicken pop-up shop from Pastry Chef Jason Gehring will begin at 8 am and last until the doughnuts are sold out. Astor Doughnuts & Fried Chicken is scheduled to open in January 2013 in Metro Center.