The holiday season is here, and you know what that means: It’s time for like every media outlet in town to put out a big “list” or “roundup” or “things-to-do” post. Eater has one. Thrillist also has one. DCist has a cool little shopping guide.
Well, we here at Borderstan don’t subscribe to those rules, which is why — oh. Wait a moment. Just in: It turns out we do subscribe to those rules. Well then. Guess I’ll have to cut this diatribe short. In keeping with those seasonal bylaws, here’s our obligatory holiday roundup:
Wanna buy a tree?
- Columbia Heights Farmers Market, located at the intersection of Kenyon and 14th streets NW between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Saturdays, has them — but only for the next two weeks.
- Ross Elementary School (1730 R St. NW) will sell trees Dec. 4-6 and 12 for a good cause.
- Bancroft Elementary School (1755 Newton St. NW) will sell them this weekend.
- The tree lot at Sixth Engine (438 Massachusetts Ave. NW) is now open for business.
- School Without Walls at Francis Stevens will sell trees at Old City Farm and Guild (925 Rhode Island Ave. NW) this weekend.
Wanna see Santa?
- Lamont Park (3258 Mt Pleasant St. NW) will serve as host for a holiday celebration this Saturday at 1:30 p.m. The fat red guy will be there.
- Dupont Circle’s tree lighting ceremony at the corner of Connecticut Ave. and R St. NW this Thursday at 4 p.m. will also star the world-famous gift-giver. And he’ll take photos with your dogs.
- The Columbia Heights tree-lighting extravaganza and holiday market this Saturday in Civic Plaza at 4 p.m. may feature an appearance from the head elf.
Wanna go to the market?
- The Georgia Avenue Winter Market takes place this Saturday at 3400 Georgia Ave. NW at 11 a.m. Expect vendors selling arts and crafts, art displays, performances and food.
- Christkindlmarkt, Heurich House Museum’s holiday market, takes place this Saturday and Sunday at noon.
- More than a dozen vendors will gather at Miss Pixie’s (1626 14th St. NW) for the store’s holiday market on Friday at 5:30 p.m.
- Old City Farm and Guild (925 Rhode Island Ave. NW) will transform into a holiday market every Saturday until Dec. 19.
Wanna feel the holiday spirit?
- Shaw ANC 6E Commissioner Rachelle Nigro will go caroling with locals this Sunday at 6 p.m.
- Donate toys during a toy donation party at the Metropolitan Community Church of Washington, D.C. (474 Ridge St. NW) on Saturday, Dec. 12 at 10 a.m.
- Party with Shaw residents next Monday at the Howard Theatre at 7 p.m. (Note: Though this event is free, reservations are required)
- Tour Logan Circle homes and halls decked in holiday cheer this Sunday at 1 p.m.
Wanna drink and eat the holiday spirit instead?
- There’s a “Hannukah happy hour” with bottomless latkes at Commissary (1443 P St. NW) next Monday.
- Mockingbird Hill (1843 7th St. NW) transforms into Christmas/Hannukah cocktail bar “Miracle on 7th Street” every night this month.
- Christmas beers abound at Black Squirrel (2427 18th St. NW) in Adams Morgan this Friday at 5 p.m.
- Likewise, Logan Circle beer bar ChurchKey (1337 14th St. NW) will host a holiday tap takeover with 35 beers on Monday, Dec. 14.
- For $10, you can don a janky sweater at Duplex Diner (2004 18th St. NW) next Friday.
- Do Christmas beers pair well with gingerbread houses? Find out at Vetnor Sports Cafe (2411 18th St. NW) next Friday at 11 p.m.
Wanna see a show?
- Super Art Fight will host a non-denominational show at Black Cat (1811 14th St. NW) this Friday at 9 p.m.
- Keegan Theatre’s (1742 Church St. NW) original play “An Irish Carol” returns to the Dupont playhouse next Saturday.