Attention: Dog lovers. This Saturday’s 17th Street Festival has something just for you and your four-legged friend — it’s an entire PET ZONE, sponsored by City Dogs Rescue. The PET ZONE will feature dog-friendly games, treats, the annual blessing of the animals and the annual Walk-A-Dog-Athon.
The Walk-A-Dog-Athon will support Charlie’s Place, a homeless outreach program at Saint Margaret’s Church that works to feed the homeless and place people in jobs and housing. Registration for the Walk-A-Dog-Athon will be at the Charlie’s Place table (on 17th Street NW between R and S Streets NW); the cost is $30 for adults and $15 for kids.
Don’t have a dog to bring to the fun? Don’t worry, there will be dogs available for adoption at the PET ZONE.
The 17th Street Festival takes place on Saturday, September 22 from noon until 6 pm. In addition to activities for pets, the festival includes musical performances, a KID ZONE, local art, exposure for non-profit groups and appearances by city officials to celebrate the community and businesses.
The festival is planned by the Urban Neighborhood Alliance (UNA), which “brings businesses and residents together to develop innovative solutions to community challenges.” Additional details are available on the organization’s website.
- What: Blessing of the Dogs at National City Christian Church on Thomas Circle
- When: Sunday, May 17, 10:00am-10:20 a.m.
- Where: 5 Thomas Circle, NW
- Why: “Love is sacred, including the pure love between a dog and its family. So, National City Christian Church wants to help you celebrate that love as we enter into the “dog days” of summer. We welcome you and your dog to our Blessing of the Dogs to be held on the front steps of our church from 10:00 am on Sunday, May 17, 2009. The pastoral staff and leaders of National City Christian Church will lead the 20-minute service, which will include special music.”
- Information: Please email Eric Woodard at [email protected]