The number of crimes in October 2009 in the Borderstan crime reporting area¹ dropped substantially over the previous two Octobers, 2007 and 2008. The drop was due to a large, 42% decrease in the number of property crimes year over year for October. There were 7 violent crimes in October of this year, the same as October 2008 and down from 11 in October 2007.
This drop for last month is a remarkable turnaround from trends we have seen in the area in 2009–skyrocketing property crimes and increasing numbers of gun crimes (robberies and assaults in which a gun was used by the perpetrator). In fact, there were 0 of gun crimes in the Borderstan crime reporting in October of this year; this compares to 4 in October 2008 and 2 in October 2007.
A detailed narrative and chart are below the fold, along with links to earlier postings on Borderstan crime stats.
Here are the year-to-date (January 1 through March 31) crime stats for Police Service Area (PSA) 307 for 2007, 2008 and 2009.
Violent crime was up for the period in PSA 307 (from 33 in 2008) to 39 in 2009), with the number of gun crimes doubling from 5 in 2008 to 10 this year. For the January-March period of 2007, there were 8 gun crimes.
Year-over-year, the property crime rate in PSA 307 for the January-March period was flat. There were 200 property crimes this year compared to 199 last year and 213 in 2007.
Here are the Borderstan crime stats for the past week, August 22-28. The stats show auto theft and thefts from autos are a problem in Borderstan. Two cars were stolen during the past week and five car break-ins were reported. (Did you read this post, “Car Talk: Are Your Hookups Showing?”)It is important to report car break-ins to the police. These crimes too often go unreported.
- Homicide: 0 for both weeks.
- Sex Abuse: 0 for both weeks.
- Robbery Excluding Gun: 0 for both weeks.
- Robbery With Gun: 0 for both weeks.
- Assault With a Dangerous Weapon: 0 for both weeks.
- Burglary: 0 for Aug. 22-28; 1 the previous week — down 100 percent.
- Theft from Auto: 5 for Aug. 22-28; 1 the previous week — up 500 percent.
- Stolen Auto: 2 for Aug. 22-28; 1 the previous week — up 100 percent.
- Arson: 0 for both weeks.
Crime Summary, Aug. 22-28
- Total Violent Crime: 0
- Total Property Crime: 8, up 100 percent from previous week
- Total Crimes: 8, up 100 percent from previous week