The September monthly meeting of Police Service Area (PSA) 208 is Tuesday evening, September 15 at 7 p.m. at the Palladium, 1325 18th Street NW. It will be in the Community Room on the Penthouse level. The location is south of Massachusetts Avenue NW and north of N Street NW. PSA 208 covers the Dupont Circle neighborhood, including West Borderstan.
Two robberies to report this evening, one in the west and one in the east. These are from Police Alert.
- 7:45 p.m., Robbery/Hold Up with -Knife, Dupont Circle and P Street NW. If you have information, call 911 with Event #I20090500321.
- 10:22 p.m., Robbery (Fear), 900 block of T Street NW. If you have information, call 911 with Event #500630.
Crimes of note are stolen autos, burglaries and violent crimes such as robbries and assaults. All of the nine crimes below are robberies. Six of them were committed using a gun while two were with force and violence and one was a snatch on the street.
Important Alert from DCRSAN. ROBBERY GUN _ 2056HRS @ 1300 B/O R ST NW LOF:2 B/M’S APPROX. 15 YOA S1 BLUE JEANS BLACK SHIRT DRK COLORED BACK PACK S2 BLUE JEANS LONG SLEEVE DRK COLORED SHIRT W/A DRK COLORED JACKET DRK L/S RUNNING NORTH ON 13TH ST TOWARDS U ST NW DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090498538″
There was robbery committed with a gun last evening at 10:17 p.m. on the 1300-block of T Street NW. There was also a gun robbery on Monday evening around the same time on the 1200-block of S Street NW.
Got this DC Police Alert last evening: “Robbery (Gun)_2217 hours_1300 Block T Street, NW_Lookout for suspect (1) B/M, 5’10”, wearing dark sweat shirt, suspect (2) med complextion, 5’6″. DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #20090490517. Sent on: 09/03 22:25″
From Alert DC: “Robbery Hold-Up Gun_2245 hours_1200 block of S Street, NW_L/O for S-1 wearing a black sweater with a white stripe shirt with dreads S-2 B/M wearing a baggy black shirt last seen walking on 13th Street, NW DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #484345.”
This was on the 1200-block of S Street NW at 10:45 p.m. last night.
Dog walkers, early commuters, gym goers: The early morning hours on the street can be dangerous… it’s still dark and there aren’t many people out. If you are out and about on the streets in the early morning hours, take the same precautions you would if it were midnight.
I just got these two Police Alert emails in the past hour… I happened to be up early for work.
- Robbery Force and Violence, 5:03 a.m., 17th and R street NW. Lookout for 2 B/M on a bike one of them with a heavy build. Do not take action, call 911 w/event #I20090468341. Sent on: 08/24 05:09.
- Robbery with Force and Violence, 5:00 a.m., 1100-block of U Street NW. Lookout for 3 B/M wearing white shirts and blue jeans. Do not take action, call 911 with event #I2009468338. Sent on: 08/24 05:04.
Total crime (both violent and property crimes) for the month of July 2009 in the Borderstan crime area¹ was down when compared to July 2008. There were, though, more crimes in July 2009 than in July 2007 due to a higher number of property crimes. We provide you with historical numbers in order to get some sense of the direction of the crime rate in the neighborhood. It is possible to obtain crime statistics from the DC MPD online crime database for up to two years.
Note: For a look at how July 2009 crime compares to May and June 2009, read “Borderstan: Violent Crime Up Slightly in July After June Dip.”
- Total Crime. There 68 total crimes in the Borderstan crime area¹ in July 2009 compared to 88 in July 2008 and 59 in July 2007.
Even if you live in East Borderstan (east of 15th) and are part of PSA 307, you are still very welcome to attend.Cross-border issues related to Borderstan are often discussed. This is a good opportunity to meet the new PSA 208 commander, Lt. Scott Dignan, and some of the officers who patrol our area.
The following message is from Commander Matt Klein, head of the MPD’s Second District. Klein explains measures he has put in place in response to several armed robberies that occurred recently in Borderstan.
Police Service Area (PSA) 208 is part of 2D and covers the Dupont Circle area, including western Borderstan. The armed robbery at 14th & P NW occurred in PSA 307, which covers primarily the Logan Circle area including eastern Borderstan.
From Commander Klein:
Crime Alert on Wednesday evening:
Police Alert-ROBBERY HOLD UP GUN. ROBBERY HOLD UP GUN 2209 HOURS 14TH AND P STREET NW. LOOKOUT FOR B/M, WHITE SHIRT, JEANS LAST SEEN EASTBOUND ON S STREET FROM 14TH STREET. DO NOT TAKE ACTION. CALL 911 W/EVENT #445297.
Let’s set the stage for this robbery with a gun, shall we?
- Heavily traveled street and neighborhood.
- Lots of people out walking dogs, sitting at outdoor restaurants, going to the grocery store, etc.
- Oodles of expensive condos and houses nearby.
- An area touted by developers, real estate agents and the city itself as “the place to be.”
- People attending the Studio Theatre.
If it isn’t safe to walk at 14th & P NW at 10:09 pm, no place in Borderstan is safe at any time of day. Of course, we figured that out with the daytime armed robbery and scooter jacking on Sunday-Monday on 16th Street NW.
- Note to our elected officials and Chief Lanier: STOP talking about the lower murder rate in DC. Our neighbors are having guns stuck in their guts by thugs. What is your plan? It has been obvious for several years now that the emerging shopping and nightlife corridor on 14th Street is a destination for wanna-be robbers and muggers
- Note to ANC 2B-Dupont and ANC 2F-Logan: When is violent street crime going to become a top priority for you, instead of freaking out about liquor licenses and Real World filming crews? Priorities, perhaps, need to be set?
- Note to the real estate and development lobby in DC: Would you mind putting the pressure on the DC government? You may have more trouble selling the expensive condos in the area if this trend continues.
- Note to the store owners in Borderstan: When are you going to start raising hell and demanding some sort of permanent police presence, perhaps a permanent substation?
Yes, I know the murder rate in DC is down this year… but these types of crimes tend to blunt my enthusiasm for the news.
A scooter-jacking (Sunday, 1:30 p.m.) and an armed robbery (Monday, 1:40 p.m.), both occurred on the 1700-block of 16th Street NW, which is between R and S Streets. Both involved handguns, which means these were what I could call “murders avoided.” Furthermore, these crimes occurred in a “safe” area that is heavily traveled by pedestrians, cars and buses.
My enthusiasm for the lower murder rate is curbed by news such as this, which was reported by Police Service Area 208.
- August 9, 1:30 p.m. Robbery Force Violence/Carjacking, 1700-block of 16th St. NW. “On August 9, 2009, at approximately 1:30 PM in the 1700 blk 16th St. NW. C-1 reported that S-1 pulled a gun from his waist band and advises C_1 to turn over his scooter. S-2and S-3 struck C-1 in the back of the head with an unknown object. S-1, S-2 and S-3 fled the scene with C1 scooter.”
- August 10, 1:40 p.m. Armed Robbery, 1700-block of 16th Street NW. “On August 10, 2009, at approximately 1:40PM, in the 1700 blk of 16 St. NW, C-1 reported that he was approached by a subject who had displayed a gun and took his I-POD. No look out was available at the time of this offense.”
Here are recent crimes of note in Police Service Areas (PSAs) 208 and 307 from the past week. Crimes of note are stolen autos, burglaries and violent crimes such as robbries and assaults. West Borderstan (west of 15th NW) is part of PSA 208 while East Borderstan (east of 15th NW) is part of PSA 307. In general, PSA 208 covers the Dupont Circle neighborhood while PSA 307 covers Logan Circle and a bit of Shaw.
The local rooftop burglar–or at least a rooftop burglar–made another attempt early on Friday, July 24 at 1:30 a.m. in Borderstan. However, he was foiled when the resident of the house in the 1500-block of Church Street NW heard him and scared him away.
According to MPD 2nd District, “Unknown subject(s) pried the lock to the skylight and entered the house. The complainant heard the noise coming from the third floor and yelled. The subject(s) fled out of the house through the skylight and ran westbound on the rooftop. Nothing was obtained from the house.”
Additional crimes from the past several days in the area are below. Notable crimes include robberies, assaults, burglaries and stolen autos.