Do you really need another tweed coat? Or another pair of REI thermals for that “not yet on the calendar” but most likely to occur blow-out ski weekend with your friends? Didn’t think so.
Donate clothing or make a contribution of any size. Example: $100 buys 1 dozen fleece blankets. Clothes can be dropped off through December 4.
Start your holiday season off right this year — give to those who are really in need: put that $25 or $100 where it will so some real good. Gifts for the Homeless, Inc (GCFH) is running its annual clothing drive this year through December 4. GFTH is a non-profit and volunteer-based organization dedicated to helping the homeless through fundraisers and clothing drives for winter “must haves” — long underwear, hats, blankets and gloves, to name a few.
Each year, GFTH donates used clothing to approximately 70 shelters in the area — from transitional shelters to shelters for battered women and shelters for AIDS victims. Since GFTH is exclusively volunteer-based with no overhead or administrative costs, 100% of the donations and proceeds go to the homeless.
As in years past, GFTH cannot do it with your help. Help make this year as big of a success as last year — where the value of clothing and blankets for area homeless shelters topped $1 million!
Your contributions make a difference!
- $25 purchases 5 dozen pairs of men’s socks
- $33 purchases 1 dozen men’s heavy thinsulate-lined gloves
- $50 buys 1 dozen hooded sweatshirts
- $100 buys 1 dozen fleece blankets
- $250 purchases five dozen sets of kid’s thermal underwear.
Extra clothes weighing you down?
GFTH is in need of shoes, winter sweaters, sleeping bags, blankets, coats, hats, gloves and toiletries — especially for men and children. Please make all contributions by Friday, December 2; you can leave your donations at the Portals III Complex at 12th and D Streets SW in DC. The clothing drive (sorting and delivering) will take place at the same location Friday, December 2 through Sunday, December 4. If you are interested in volunteering at this event, please visit the volunteer page.
Donate online or by mail!
You can contribute via check or online. All donations are tax deductible. Please make checks payable to “Gifts for the Homeless, Inc.”
GFTH was created in 1986 by lawyers in the district as part of an effort to give back to the city during the holiday season. Over the years, GFTH has grown into a year-round operation that collects used clothing and monetary donations (used to purchase new clothing such as socks, sweatshirts, long underwear, blankets, hats and gloves.
From Friends of Jack…
- First, Green Door is hosting a clothing drive on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. It’s just around the corner at 1632 16th Street NW, and they are collecting everything from clothing and dishes to computers and furniture. A flyer is attached. I hope you can help out this great organization during this holiday season.
- Also, this weekend and next, Ross Elementary School is hosting their annual Christmas Tree Sale! It’s a great way to pick up a Christmas tree and support our local school. Half of the cost of the tree is tax deductible. You can pick up your tree during the day on Saturday or Sunday at Ross Elementary, on R Street between 17th & New Hampshire.