From Alejandra Owens. You can find her on Twitter at @frijolita or at her food blog, One Bite At A Time. Email her at [email protected]
Paula Deen and her love of butter ain’t got nothin’ on Florida Avenue Grill. Tucked away on the corner of Florida Ave and 11th Street, far from the hubub and hipsters on U Street, this shot gun diner has been serving up simple, traditional Southern breakfasts since 1944.
Make no mistakes. This isn’t brunch. This isn’t bottomless mimosas. This isn’t “pan seared pork belly with a berry balsamic reduction.” This is eggs, bacon, biscuits, sausage gravy and grits.
Leave your diet at the door, not only is everything cooked in butter the cook pours on an extra tablespoon or two of melted butter on top of your dish as it makes its way to your table.
Or maybe your seat at the counter. Large parties and ladies who brunch beware. You’ll likely wait for a four top, but if it’s just you and a compadre you can belly up almost immediately at the long counter where you can watch all the butter-ific cooking go down.
For those of you who sleep late… really late… on the weekends, don’t fret. Florida Avenue Grill is one of the few places in town that serves breakfast until 4:30 p.m. Whether you’ve lived in D.C. for 10 years or 10 days, if you haven’t been to this greasy spoon, hustle down there this weekend and get in line for a breakfast that you won’t regret!
- Where Am I Going? 1100 Florida Avenue NW (corner of Florida Avenue and 11th Street NW)
- When Am I Going? Breakfast served until 1:30 pm, Tuesday through Thursday; until 3:30 pm Friday; and until 4:30 pm on weekends. They also serve lunch and supper and Florida Avenue Grill is open until 9 pm Tuesday through Saturday (closing time is 4:30 pm on Sunday). Closed Mondays.
- Paycheck Pain? Pain? There’s no pain. This place is cheaper than Washingtonian’s Cheap Eats edition.
- Say What? Everyone can talk to each other just fine… just expect someone from the kitchen to yell occasionally about fresh biscuits or to hustle on that diet coke.
- What You’ll Be Eating: Pancakes, biscuits, sausage gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage… breakfast fare… in butter.