Across the street from M Street’s new TakEatEasy is another new spot that highlights fast, casual food at all hours of the day (and night).
Bub and Pop’s recently opened at 1815 M Street NW and is feeding the masses with its extensive list of sandwiches and pizzas. On the menu are items such as a braised beef brisket sandwich, an Italian hoagie, a bolognese parmesan sandwich, a white clam pizza and an eggplant caponata pizza.
The eatery even offers four types of pickle dishes, including pepper hash and giardinera. All of the menu items are inspired from the owners’ grandparents and their culinary creations of South Philly food.
Bub and Pop’s is open for lunch and dinner Monday through Thursday from 11 am until 7 pm, on Friday from 11 am until 3 am and Saturday from 3 pm until 3 am.
DC isn’t exactly a night owl of a city, but just because it’s way past Happy hour, it does not mean there isn’t a great meal to be had. Last week, we listed the area’s cheap eats to sop up those nights of debauchery. Here we run down the best of Borderstan’s (somewhat) classier late night nibbling.
- El Centro D.F. – After chilling on the roof deck, come on down to the main floor for their late night menu, available from 11 pm to 2 am on weekends. They offer tacos, quesadillas and tortas. I especially like their Pork Carnitas torta. Head on down to the tequileria afterward for some dancing. Don’t let the lines outside fool you. Let the bouncer know you are going in to eat, and you can get right in.
- Bistro du Coin – Steak frites and mussels craving at midnight? Bistro du Coin has you covered. This Dupont Circle restaurant serves up French bistro fare and is open till 1 am Thursdays through Saturday, midnight on other days.
- Mandu – Mandu’s late night bar menu, offered between 11 pm and 1 am on Fridays and Saturdays, includes kimchi quesadillas, pan fried dumplings and bulgogi tacos. This lively restaurant is sure to satisfy your late night cravings.
- Bistro La Bonne – If you are staying out late on U Street, Bistro La Bonne is open till 2 am with a special late night menu offered after midnight Thursday through Saturday. Good French food in a casual atmosphere at reasonable prices is what you will get here.
- Satellite Room – This new Hilton brothers spot by the 9:30 Club opens every evening at 5pm, but the kitchen stays open until last call every night. So if you are craving a patty melt or Huevos Rancheros after a show, the Satellite Room is waiting. Oh, and you can have a boozy milkshake to go alongside.
- The Passenger – When one of the area’s finest drinking establishments serves up a kimchi hot dog and Truffle Mac n Cheese till 2am on weekends, there is no reason not to join the late night cult following that this place has.
- Oohs and Aahs – Fried chicken, collard greens and other Soul food staples are dished out at this U street spot way past midnight. On Fridays and Saturdays between midnight and 4am, you can even get a waffle to go with that fried chicken. A perfect ending to an evening out on U Street.
- Black and Orange – At this 14th Street stop, you don’t have to settle when it comes to a late night burger. This place is open till 5 am on weekends, which is awesome. The “No Jerk, No Cry” burger with Jamaican seasonings and spice is a crowd favorite.
Where do you go for a post-drink meal that is not a diner or a Jumbo slice? Tell us in the comments.