From Sarah Lipman. You can email her at sarah[AT]@borderstan.com.
Looking for a dive bar to drink some beers, eat some wings, and watch the game? Head to Duffy’s Irish Pub on Vermont Avenue NW.
Aside from the name and a few wall hangings, it’s not really all that Irish. And it’s definitely not anything fancy–don’t come here looking for a Rocket Bar or Penn Quarter Sports Tavern — but you’ll always find a seat in front of a TV.
If you’re ordering food, get the wings. Period.
Voted best wings in DC four years running by Washington City Paper, the traditional wings aren’t overly breaded, but are meaty and sauced hot, medium or mild. The hot wings bring the heat, and are different than wing’s I’ve had anywhere else–they’re more hot than spicy, with a peppery flavor that’s low on smokiness.
You can also get the wings (boneless variety offered) in spicy BBQ, honey BBQ, spicy Asian and Chesapeake. All are tasty, but I typically stick with traditional hot wings or the Chesapeake dry-rub.
Duffy’s is great for a big group, and as it’s only a block from the 9:30 Club, it’s a prime spot for a pre-concert bite or a post-concert beer.
Duffy’s: The Details
- Where Am I Going?: 2106 Vermont Avenue NW.
- When Am I Going?: Hours are variable. Check out the Twitter handle @Duffysirishpub or call 202-265-3413.
- Paycheck Pain: There’s always some booze special on pitchers or buckets, and wings are 8 for $8.95, 12 for $12.95, and 24 for $23.95.
- Say What?: It’s a sports dive bar — which means loud TVs and cheering fans. You’ll always find a place to sit, but it’s not the place for a heart to heart.
- What You’ll Be Eating: Wings!