If I can’t decide what I feel like eating, or it’s Sunday and I’m in need of some vino, I seem to always find myself at Dupont Market at 1807 18th Street NW. Not only can you pick up one of their sandwiches–including breakfast–but you can also find a decent selection of red and white wine, six packs of beer, kitchen staples, and a whole lot of random sh*t.
Sure, you’ll find a few basics like peanuts, milk, and flour, but you’ll also find:
- Okra chips
- Cashews glazed with pomegranate and vanilla
- Hawaiian Bamboo Jade sea salt
- Ballymaloe country relish
- Sweet mango chutney
- Jamaican style ginger ale
- Dandelion and Burdock cola
- Hollandaise sauce
The best sandwiches I’ve tried are the borracho (marinated artichokes, grilled chicken, swiss), the salad sandwiches (egg, tuna, or chicken), the cubano, and my personal favorite, the humberto (smoked turkey, swiss, lemon, sprouts, avocado).
Dupont Market: The Details
- Where Am I Going: 1807 18th Street NW, between Swann and S Streets.
- When Am I Going: Monday to Friday, 7 am to 10 pm; Saturday and Sunday, 8 am to 10 pm.
- Paycheck Pain: Sandwiches are pretty cheap, but the extras can seem more expensive than they’re worth.
- What You’ll Be Eating: Sandwiches to go or to eat out on the patio, wine and beer, and random food products.