From Scott Leibowitz. Find Scott on Twitter @Lebodome, email him at [email protected].
The DC summer is here and the cranking of the air conditioning has begun. We begin to drink more on patios and take the sun dresses out of the back closet (so my girlfriend tells me). This means it is time to put your drink in a coozy and spend your weekends outdoors.
For me, one of the best parts of any summer are the great lawn games. While many of us don’t have a lawn, there are plenty of parks in Borderstan where you can play a wide variety of easy-going, social games.
Here are some of my favorites with the pros and cons:
- Pros: Cornhole can be played anywhere (sidewalks, roofs, etc.) with a drink in non throwing hand. You can also decorate your boards to add some personality to your game.
- Cons: Some people are just awesome at this game and can make the game not-so-fun for beginners. Beanbags can break easily.
- Pros: Bocce is easy to learn/become decent at it. Very social and fun for spectators. Game origin dates back to ancient Rome so technically “it’s a classic.”
- Cons: You need long smooth area to play. Game balls are heavy and with a few drinks can become hazards.
- Pros: TBD.
- Cons: Have you seen this game? Do you know anything about croquet? When my name is Lord Grantham, maybe I’ll play…
- Pros: Everyone can do it. Football/frisbee/baseball… so many options
- Cons: If you can’t throw, it isn’t much fun.
Of course, there’s always bolo-toss, horseshoes, and frisbee golf. Get your coozy, make some guac and enjoy the summer, Borderstan!
Links! Links! Ice Cold Links!
- The invention of heterosexuality.
- Joseph Gordon Levitt’s directorial debut looks pretty good.
Get an RSS Feed for all Borderstan stories or subscribe to Borderstan’s daily email newsletter.