Gun crimes are up in Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan and other nearby areas, a new report shows.
Columbia Heights, Park View and Mt. Pleasant had 49 gun crimes from Jan. 1 to July 31, according to a District, Measured report released yesterday. Adams Morgan, Kalorama Heights and Lanier Heights saw 17 gun crimes from Jan. 1 to July 31.
During the same period last year, those areas saw just 40 and 9 gun crimes, respectively.
Dupont Circle, Connecticut Avenue and K Street also saw an increase in gun crimes, says the report. Last year, the area had 6 gun crimes between Jan. 1 and July 31. This year, that number grew to 10.
But other areas saw a far higher increase in gun crime. According to the report, NoMA and the H Street corridor had the District’s largest uptick in crime involving guns this year.
The spike is gun crime is not unique to just these neighborhoods. Data shows that crimes with guns have increased 20 percent throughout the District. Out of 39 neighborhood clusters reviewed by District, Measured, 22 of them saw an increase in gun crimes.
Shaw, Logan Circle and LeDroit Park are among the neighborhoods that haven’t experienced an influx in gun violence this year, according to the report.
Shaw and Logan Circle had 18 gun crimes from Jan. 1 to July 31. During the same period last year, the neighborhoods had 20 such crimes.
LeDroit Park, Howard University and Cardozo had 19 gun crimes fro
m Jan. 1 to July 31. The neighborhoods had 25 such crimes during the same period last year.
Image via District, Measured
From Cody Telep. Follow him on Twitter @codywt, email him at cody[AT]borderstan.com.
A victim was shot on 7th Street NW just after 7:00pm Thursday according to a tweet from the Metropolitan Police Department. The shooting was originally reported in the 1200 block of 7th Street NW, but after speaking with police, ANC 6E04 Commissioner Rachelle Nigro reported the incident took place near the intersection of 7th Street NW and P Street NW.
Police told Nigro that a victim walking north on 7th Street NW was struck in the hand by a bullet. The injuries were not life threatening. According to the police tweet, two black males in a black vehicle with tinted windows were seen leaving the scene.
Thursday’s incident was a short distance south of a report of shots fired on Tuesday afternoon. According to a post from police, a suspect shot at a vehicle in the 1900 block of 7th Street NW after a verbal dispute with the vehicle’s occupants. There were no reported injuries and no suspect was located, although police did recover a gun a short distance away.
The suspect in that case was described as a black male about 30-years-old with dreadlocks, a medium complexion, and a thin build. There is no indication the two incidents are related.
Anyone with information in either case is asked to call the Metropolitan Police Department at 202-727-9099.
There were two gun robberies last night in the Borderstan area. The most disturbing is the first one, which happened early in the evening at 8:40 p.m.; updated details below. on a very busy stretch of U Street–14th and U, to be exact. One has to assume the area was filled with a fairly large number of people on a Friday evening in the spring.
Details on both crimes below; information is from Police Alerts.
- Friday, March 26, 8:40 p.m., Robbery with Gun, 1400 U Street NW. According to DC police, “Male suspect entered a restaurant in the block and demanded money… apparently pointed a silver handgun, obtained money and fled. Suspect was a black male wearing dark jeans, black jacket with gray sleeves and black tennis shoes.”
- Saturday, March 27, 1:30 a.m., Robbery with Gun, R and 16th Streets NW: “On Saturday, March 27, 2010, at 1:45 a.m., a Robbery/While Armed (Gun) offense occurred in the 1500 block of R St., N.W. (PSA 208) and was subsequently reported to the MPD. The victim reported that while walking in the alley he was approached from the rear by a subject who struck him on the back of the head. The victim fell to the ground after which time the suspect pointed a gun at him and demanded his wallet and jewelry. The victim complied and the suspect fled the area eastbound in the alley.”
Three robberies this afternoon… two in Borderstan and one in Adams Morgan. Both robberies in Borderstan were with a gun and in the same area as a number of other armed robberies the past two weeks. The times were around 2 p.m., 4 p.m. and 5 p.m.
“Yeesh” is about all I can say.
- Police Alert-Robbery… Robbery Gun/1705hrs/1420 Swann St NW/B/M 35 YEARS OLD 5’6 5’7 WEARING BLACK SHIRT AND BLACK PANTS DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090514366. Sent on: 09/15 17:16
- Police Alert-Robbery… Robbery Force in the 2200blk of 18Th St. NW. 1607hrs. LOF a B/M, DARK BLUE OR GREY SWEAT HOODY, 30s, DARK COMPLEXTION, BLUE JEANS, 5’8 TO 5’9, 160LBS TO 180LBS DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #i20090514248
- Police Alert-Robbery… Robbery Gun in the 1300blk of S St. NW. 1352hrs. LOF 2 B/M WHITE SHIRT BLUE JEANS DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090514043
From Alert DC:
- A robbery hold up with a knife at 4:49 p.m. at Vermont and T NW. “Robbery Hold Up Knife @ 1649 hours, Vermont Ave & T St NW LOF B/M, with a bush, thin build, 6’2”, wearing timberland boots, tan/cream/red striped shirt. DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090340837.
- A robbery with a gun at 3:50 p.m. at S and 8th NW. “Robbery Hold Up Gun @ 1550 hours 1800 block of 8th St NW LOF 2 B/M, slim build, 16-19 Y/O and no clothing description given. L/S in the block. DO NOT TAKE ACTION CALL 911 W/EVENT #I20090340708.”