You can attend the theater without ever leaving Borderstan at The JCC’s Theater J at 16th and Q Streets NW. “Honey Brown Eyes” opens October 22 and runs through November 30. Details below, from Theater J’s Web page.
- The Show: “Honey Brown Eyes”
- When: October 22 through November 30, 2008.
- Who: A World Premiere by Stefanie Zadravec; directed by Jessica Lefkow. Featuring Theater J Artistic Associate In Residence Alexander Strain (Helen Hayes Nomination for Pangs of the Messiah).
- Tickets: Information about tickets here.
- About the Performance: “Bosnia 1992. In two kitchens, two soldiers recover a little of what they’ve lost during the war. A Serbian paramilitary must face the consequences of his own brutality, while a Bosnian resistance fighter, crippled by the limits of his own courage, seeks refuge with a kindred soul. Unlikely partnerships emerge in this play of horror, humanity, and stunning relevance.”
How do you get the most out of the Jewish holidays, especially when they seem to come back to back? Check out Sarah Gershman’s posting, “Preparation,” at the Jewish Community Center’s blog, The Blog at 16th and Q.
Last night Jon Stewart noted, “It’s Sukkot, which is the Hebrew word meaning, “How many holidays can Jews fit into one month?”
Truly, the Jewish holiday season is non-stop action – from the reflective mood of Rosh Hashanah to the boisterous dancing at Simchat Torah, the holiday where we celebrate the yearly completion of the reading of the Five Books of Moses.
How do we get the most out of this holiday season? I believe the preparation is the answer. And not only material preparation (shopping, cooking, etc.) But spiritual preparation.
Remember that the JCC at 16th and Q NW offers numerous cultural events and programs for everyone in Borderstan and beyond. Did you know that the JCC even has a gym… with membership open to the public?
Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 2B/Dupont Circle will hold its October 2008 meeting on Tuesday, October 7, at the DC Jewish Community Center, 16th at Q Streets NW. Starting time is 7 p.m. This is a change from the normal schedule: ANC 2B/Dupont Circle meetings are normally held on the second Wednesday of the month:
ANC 2B meets on the 2nd Wednesday of each month at the Jewish Community Center at 7 pm at the south east corner of 16th Street and Q Street. Enter from the Q Street side. Everyone must bring a photo ID to get into the building. There is an open forum at each meeting for discussion of issues not on the regular agenda.
If you would like to receive ANC meeting notices and other notices from ANC 2B by email, please send an email to [email protected].
- ANC 2B Web site
- Agendas/Minutes for ANC 2B
- Victor Wexler (ANC 2B-05)
- Jack Jacobson (ANC 2B-04)
An electrifying fusion of satire, cabaret and sizzling rock ‘n’ roll, Sandra’s comic diatribe on the state of modern culture still burns bright and smart. With her band, The Rebellious Jezebels, Sandra launches this brand-new version of the show that propelled her into the stratosphere 20 years ago.
You can always check out what is happening at the JCC’s Morris Cafritz Center for the Arts. The 2008-2009 theater season schedule is posted at their site.
The monthly meeting of Advisory Neighborhood Commission (ANC) 2B/Dupont Circle is tonight at 7 p.m. at the Jewish Community Center, 16th and Q Streets. The August agenda is here (PDF). ANC 2B meets on the second Wednesday of the month at the JCC. West Borderstan is split between two districts: 04 and 05. Still not sure what ANCs do?