The Logan Circle Community Association (LCCA) and the Ward 2 Democrats are hosting a Mayoral straw poll Wednesday, July 21, at the Washington Plaza Hotel, 10 Thomas Circle NW. All of the candidates who filed papers to run have been invited, including Mayor Adrian Fenty and Council Chair Vincent Gray. Doors open at 7 pm.
(Check out Friday’s story in The Washington Post about the mayoral race: “In D.C. mayoral debate, accusations trump issues,” which reviews yesterdays’ radio debate on WPFW with host Jonetta Rose Barras and guest panelists.)
The parties hold their primaries on September 14–Democrats, Republicans and Statehood-Greens. While the general election is November 2, it is almost always (as in 95% of the time) an afterthought in heavily Democratic DC.
In other words, the Democratic Primary is the whole ballgame. The Dupont and Logan neighborhoods–and the western end of the U Street area–are in Ward 2.
According to the organizers, everyone is invited to attend–but only Ward 2 registered Democrats will be able to vote in the straw poll. Registration begins at 7 pm and guests will have the opportunity to talk to any candidates who are present at that time. Candidate presentations begin at 7:30 pm and voting will close by 9:15 pm (times subject to change if needed.)
Each candidate will be asked to speak on several topics. Following the presentation, registered Ward 2 Democrats will have the opportunity to vote.
For more information, contact Ward 2 Democrats President Pat Allen at 202-296-0720 or LCCA President Bob Maffin 202-301-2125.
From the Logan Circle Community Association:
Please join us on October 14 for LCCA’s membership meeting and nominations for Board positions (elections to be held in November). The meeting will be at the Washington Plaza Hotel [10 Thomas Circle NW] from 7-9 p.m. We’ll also have some great presentations on greening initiatives in Logan Circle, as well as tips on greening your home and ways to cut energy costs and usage while helping preserve the environment.
If you haven’t renewed your membership for 2009, it’s quick and easy. Just go to www.logancircle.org and click on “Join LCCA.” You must have an active membership in 2009 to be eligible to vote in November.
Gallery plan b in Borderstan at 1530 14th Street NW is hosting a one-night exhibition that will benefit three area non-profit groups. “Perspectives DC” is an exhibition in brush, lens, and words… a one-night exhibition to benefit Historic Dupont Circle Main Streets, Dupont Circle Village and the Logan Circle Community Association.
From Jennifer at Logan Circle Community Association… there is a happy hour celebration on Wednesday, August 19, the celebrate the life of the late Desi Deschaine; he was a staffer for Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans:
Dear Friends and Neighbors: While plans are still underway for a memorial celebration of Desi Deschaine’s life, we wanted to invite our members to a very special informal happy hour to celebrate Desi’s life. Fellow board member and owner of 1409 Playbill Cafe, Elsayed Mansour, has graciously offered to host and provide light appetizers for our members. The Happy Hour will run from 4-8, with a light appetizer buffet from 6-7 p.m. Drink specials as follows: well drinks and domestic beers will be $3.00 and house wine will be $6.00/glass.
We hope to see you there. – Jennifer
- What: May meeting of Logan Circle Community Association (LCCA)
- When: Wednesday, May 13, 7 to 9 p.m.
- Where: Washington Plaza Hotel, 11 Thomas Circle NW
- Program Highlights: “Art Collecting 101,” Councilmember Jack Evans, election to fill two board slots
- More Information: Email [email protected]
LCCA’s next monthly membership meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 8, from 7 to 9 p.m. at the fabulous new CulinAerie cooking school at 1131 14th Street NW (just below Thomas Circle). Following a brief business meeting, CulinAerie co-owner Susan Holt will conduct a cooking demonstration, followed by some tasty house-prepared hors d’oeuvres and wine. There will be time for touring the school and socializing, and members will leave with happy tummies and recipes for your next get-together.
RSVP REQUIRED because space is limited to the first 40 participants. RSVP today to Tim Christensen. To help us cover the cost of food, we will also be suggesting a $10 for this meeting. See you there!
LCCA will host monthly neighborhood happy hours/receptions at neighborhood restaurants and businesses. We are hopeful that these events will provide an informal way for residents to connect with each other, and with businesses in their neighborhood. Here are the details:
The Logan Circle Holiday House Tour will be held on Sunday, December 7, 2008 from 1 to 5 p.m. This year’s tour–sponsored by the Logan Circle Community Association–will feature East Logan. There will be a special emphasis on the rich history of residential and commercial alley life in Logan’s own Blagden Alley and Naylor Court. The tour will also feature the Blagden Alley studio of world-renowned master printmaker David Adamson.
Tour participants are also welcome to a Wassail reception hosted at the Long View Gallery, at 9th and N Streets, N.W. from 3 to 5:30 p.m. the day of the tour. Proceeds from the tour benefit LCCA’s ongoing community improvement efforts.
Properties Confirmed for Tour
- 1300 13th Street, N.W.
- 1217 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. – Church of the Ascension and St. Agnes
- 1010 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. PH 102
- 1010 Massachusetts Avenue, N.W. PH 202
- 910 M Street, N.W., Unit 120
- 1240 10th Street, N.W.
- 1217 10th Street, N.W.
- 926 N Street, N.W. (rear-Blagden Alley) – Adamson Editions
- 1327 10th Street, N.W.
- 1319 Naylor Court, N.W.
- 1312 Naylor Court, N.W.
You can purchase advance tickets online for $15 each. Tickets purchased online will be available for pick up after 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, December 7, at 1324 Vermont Avenue, N.W. Same day tickets are available for $20 at 1324 Vermont Avenue, N.W., after 12:30pm. Pre-tour tickets are also available at the following retail locations:
- Azi’s Café, 1336 9th Street, N.W.
- Barrel House Liquors, 1341 14th Street, N.W.
- Home Rule, 1807 14th Street, N.W.
- Lambda Rising Bookstore, 1625 Connecticut Avenue, N.W.
- Logan Hardware, 1416 P Street, N.W.
- 5th Street Ace Hardware, 1055 5th Street, N.W.
For information, or to volunteer, please contact LCCA’s Tim Christensen.
- November 20, 2008 – Annual Awards Dinner. LCCA will hold its annual awards dinner on November 20, 2008 at the Washington Plaza hotel. This year we will honor long-time board member, Eric Korpon, who has moved out of the Logan Circle area and will be stepping down from the board as a result. As is our tradition, please bring a dish to share, and prepare for a relaxing evening with friends.
- December 7, 2008 – Logan Circle House Tour. LCCA invites everyone to attend its 30th annual Logan Circle Holiday House Tour on Sunday, December 7, starting at 1 p.m. and continuing through 5 p.m. The self-guided tour concludes with a Wassail reception from 3 until 5:30 pm at Long View Gallery, 9th and N Streets, N.W. Advance tickets are available online and at selected retailers for $15. On tour day, tickets may be purchased for $20 at 1324 Vermont Avenue, N.W. For more information, or to volunteer, please contact Tim Christensen.