In anticipation of a hot weekend, the D.C. government today posted a handy heat emergency plan for when the heat index climbs to 95 degrees or higher.
Included in the plan are the locations of emergency cooling centers, swimming pools, spray parks and air conditioned public libraries.
Also included is one important rule: Don’t open fire hydrants, no matter how hot it gets.
In the event of a heat emergency, those in need of transportation to a cooling center can call the hyperthermia hotline at 1-800-535-7252.
There is NOT:
- mail delivery or post office service today.
- bus service or above ground Metro train service: “No above ground rail service, Metrobus or MetroAccess service on Saturday, Feb. 6.”
- Circulator Bus service (run by DDoT, not Metro)
- modified, 30-minute underground Metro train service, which will operate as follows:
- Yellow Line – Pentagon to Crystal City
- Red Line – Medical Center to Union Station and Glenmont to Forest Glen
- Orange Line – Ballston to Stadium-Armory
- Green Line – Fort Totten to Congress Heights
- Blue Line – Ballston to Stadium-Armory
[wpvideo sm3idqH4]Here is a short video I shot on Sunday of Lupe playing in a park in Montgomery County. She is ball and frisbee obsessed; probably the Border Collie half of her.
A little Monday-morning dog blogging for you. We took Lupe to Quiet Waters Park in Annapolis on Saturday afternoon… a beautiful and well-maintained Anne Arundel County park. There is an special beach and swimming area for dogs on the South River. Enjoy the slide show of Lupe and other dogs at the beach, courtesy of Luis at his blog, One Photograph A Day.
[wpvideo mHmGiNiX]Luis is the primary Lupe trainer in the house. He has the patience to train her and teach her. As a herding dog (half Border Collie and half Cardigan Welsh Corgi), Lupe needs to learn. She is hardwired for it. So, here is a silly, short video. Enjoy.
The weather is really disgusting this morning. Bluh. Thus, I post a photo of a cute dog taken this past weekend: Lupe of Borderstan (yes, she’s our dog) at the Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Ride on Saturday on Constitution Avenue / The National Mall. Luis has a slide show of his photos from Rolling Thunder over at One Photograph A Day.
I will be more than delighted to post photos of your dog: Just send them to me, PLEASE! In the meantime, here are some more photos of Lupe, our Border Collie–Cardigan Welsh Corgi cross. Luis took these black-and-white portraits following a portrait shoot for a client. He posed her on a bar stool and began clicking away. Tell me that Lupe is not one of the cutest dogs in Borderstan… go ahead… I double-dog dare you.
- At Shaw Dog Park, 11th and R NW. The MidCity Dog Park Committee’s monthly meetings are open to the public. Details here.
- Also, here is a YouTube video of a Border Collie and in Spain. The dog is amazing and beautiful. Luis and I are enchanted by Border Collies. Lupe (in photo at right) is half Border Collie and half Cardigan Welsh Corgi. She is 21-months old and is strongly displaying Border Collie traits: intelligent, agile, focused, energetic, playful, curious and competitive.
Can you believe this was Monday, only five days ago?