This Saturday, May 5, City Dogs Rescue DC is teaming up with the furniture store Room & Board for a dog adoption event. Time is 11 am to 7 pm at 1840 14th Street NW. City Dogs Rescue DC is asking for volunteers to handle dogs and to help at the information table — you can sign up online to volunteer.
City Dogs Rescue was formed in September 2011 as a volunteer-based, non-profit organization (with pending 501(c)(3) status) to rescue adoptable dogs in overcrowded and high-kill shelters where resources are severely limited. Many of the dogs that City Dogs Rescue takes in are just days and sometimes hours away from being euthanized, for no reason other than lack of space. Since September, more than 30 dogs from City Dogs Rescue have been adopted by individuals and families in the DC metro area.
How to Help
- Anyone interested in volunteering, adopting, or learning about community events can join the City Dogs Rescue mailing list by going to the organization’s website.
- Foster homes are urgently needed to enable City Dogs Rescue to accept more dogs. In you are interested, please email [email protected]
- City Dogs Rescue is looking for additional community sponsors and any interested business should contact [email protected]
- Make a donation.
- You can also follow City Dogs Rescue on Facebook to get more information, as well as on Twitter@CityDogsRescue and Pinterest.
- Nellie Dogs: Adopt a Dog Events at U Street Bar
- Borderstan Readers: Thanks for Helping City Dogs Rescue
- Take a Walk: City Dogs Rescue Has New Volunteer Opportunities
The Washington Business Journal reports today that Room & Board, a small retail furniture chain, has finally reached a deal to occupy the corner space at 14th & T Streets NW. There is more information about it here. Also… Borderstanians remember some earlier deals that didn’t go through.
Now for the local wonks who read this blog. This piece of property is in the Dupont Circle ANC: ANC 2B/Dupont Circle and the commissioner for the district, Ramon Estrada (ANC 2B-09). But, you ask: When did Dupont Circle extend to 14th Street NW? It does not, but the ANC does.
This is why does ANC 2B–and not ANC 2F/Logan Circle–represents this stretch of 14th Street; there is a panhandle that stretches east to 14th and runs from the south side of U Street down to the north side of S Street NW. This panhandle is in single-member district 09 in ANC 2B. Otherwise, the eastern boundary of ANC 2B is 15th Street NW, with a small exception in the very southern part of the ANC. See map.
Here are earlier postings about this property: