Gun crimes are up in Columbia Heights, Adams Morgan and other nearby areas, a new report shows.
Columbia Heights, Park View and Mt. Pleasant had 49 gun crimes from Jan. 1 to July 31, according to a District, Measured report released yesterday. Adams Morgan, Kalorama Heights and Lanier Heights saw 17 gun crimes from Jan. 1 to July 31.
During the same period last year, those areas saw just 40 and 9 gun crimes, respectively.
Dupont Circle, Connecticut Avenue and K Street also saw an increase in gun crimes, says the report. Last year, the area had 6 gun crimes between Jan. 1 and July 31. This year, that number grew to 10.
But other areas saw a far higher increase in gun crime. According to the report, NoMA and the H Street corridor had the District’s largest uptick in crime involving guns this year.
The spike is gun crime is not unique to just these neighborhoods. Data shows that crimes with guns have increased 20 percent throughout the District. Out of 39 neighborhood clusters reviewed by District, Measured, 22 of them saw an increase in gun crimes.
Shaw, Logan Circle and LeDroit Park are among the neighborhoods that haven’t experienced an influx in gun violence this year, according to the report.
Shaw and Logan Circle had 18 gun crimes from Jan. 1 to July 31. During the same period last year, the neighborhoods had 20 such crimes.
LeDroit Park, Howard University and Cardozo had 19 gun crimes fro
m Jan. 1 to July 31. The neighborhoods had 25 such crimes during the same period last year.
Image via District, Measured
What do people read when they visit Borderstan.com? Here are the All-Time Top 20 Postings on Borderstan.com through November 30. The total number of visits to the Web site from the first week of August (when it went live) through November 30 is 17,957; average number of visits per day to Borderstan.com is 147. However, daily traffic has grown the past two months; for October the average number of daily visits was 190; in November it was 198.
- WaPo: Update on 2006 Swann St Murder – 687
- Annual High Heel Race on 17th… – 640
- In-Person Absentee Voting Underway… – 573
- About Borderstan – 564
- Arrest Made in Connection with 2006… – 522
- 1 Dead, 1 Wounded; Shooting in Rear… – 489
- Maryland Man Arrested in Murder… – 390
- “Taste of Dupont” is Tuesday… – 293
- In Our Neighborhood – 266
- Intelligent Traveler Compares… – 244
- Sunday, 28th: Latino Festival… – 243
- VOTE: Election Guides, DC… – 240
- “Commissary” Opens Sept. 9… – 224
- Hello Cupcake Bakery Opens… – 196
- Year-to-Date Borderstan Crime Stats – 171
- What Do You Think of the Metropole? – 169
- Dog Park at 11th & R NW… – 150
- WaPo on Metropole: “Condo Sellers… – 147
- Cafe Salsa to Open in Borderstan – 145
- Weekend Events: Union Station’s… – 137