If you enjoyed The Whiskey Walk and the Margarita March you should be a part of the first annual Bourbon Bash. It will happening this Saturday June 22. So get ready to enjoy the popular Kentucky spirit as it will be found at eight local bars. A portion of ticket sales will benefit Lead The Way Fund, a non-profit organization that supports active duty, disabled and deceased U.S. Army Rangers and their families.
Tickets are $55 a person and can be bought online. Participating in this event are local favorites Board Room, Buffallo Billiards, Front Page, Maddy’s Bar & Grille, James Hoban’s, MadHatter and Science Club.
The Bourbon Bash gets participants into a Kentucky spirit with a bluegrass band and specials on beers, food pairings and the featured bourbons; the bourbon tasting notes can be found here. The crowd will begin their day by checking in from noon to 3 pm at James Hoban’s or Buffalo Billiards, and then proceed in whatever order they choose during this unique all-day tasting tour. The guests can enjoy their bourbons neat, on the rocks or with a soda mixer.
Participants are also entitled to special prices on (a) the bourbon each bar is featuring, (b) a beer pairing at $3 to $4, and (c) a food pairing at $4 to $7 hand-selected by each venue’s executive chef.
From Lauren Jones. Email her at laurenjones[AT]borderstan.com
Last fall, Dupont Circle welcomed a new bar that is full of fun and games. Board Room, brought to you by the same bar group that owns Buffalo Billiards and Laughing Man Tavern, offers a more playful venue for happy hour or weekend shenanigans.
Take your pick from 20-plus games including classics such as Monopoly and Yatzee and nostalgia invokers like Hungry, Hungry Hippos, Clue, and Sorry! Or get rowdy at your table with great group games like Jenga, Scattergories and the increasingly popular Cards Against Humanity. Whatever your suits your board game fancy, Board Room probably has it.
Naturally, all of that lively competition will make you thirsty. Board Room boasts a 20-beer draft line as well as bottled and canned beer, handcrafted cocktails and a humble wine list. They even have an in-house crusher for you fresh fruit enthusiasts. You won’t find a kitchen in Board Room so don’t ask for a menu.
When you are ready for a bite to eat, feel free to order in. Flippin’ Pizza, located a few doors down, offers a 25% discount to Board Room patrons and Dupont’s upcoming SmashBurger will be in close proximity.
Games are available to rent for as low as $1. Board Room hosts happy hour Monday-Friday from 4pm-7pm and Saturday and Sunday from 12pm-7pm where they offer $4 rail drinks, house wine, and selected beers.
Fourteenth Street isn’t the only area in Borderstan that is home to new bars. The brand new (and recently renovated) Board Room opened its doors late last week in Dupont Circle at 1737 Connecticut Avenue NW. We had a chance to swing by and experience the new bar’s… “game.”
- The bar is entirely board-game-focused. From the vintage framed board game covers on the wall, to the Monopoly painted bar table, Board Room is all about playing games.
- Board Room doesn’t have a kitchen. Yes, you heard me correctly – No kitchen. But, they do allow customers to bring in food from outside establishments, and they even have an on-going discount deal with neighbor, Flippin’ Pizza.
- The bar has a beer and cocktail menu as long as its board game menu. Fresh, right? To top it all off, after I ordered my beer (more on draft than in bottle – always a plus in my opinion), the bartender asked me if he could make a board game suggestion. I played Don’t Break the Ice. I lost.
- Three words: House. Infused. Bourbon.
- Have a large party? No worries – The bar is two stories, and the second floor has a ton of seating. Problem solved.